Homemade Vanilla Extract
Ever notice how expensive vanilla extract is? And the imitation stuff is filled with chemicals. Even the pure vanilla extract can have added sugar or water to it. I found this recipe from the Thrifty Mama
and just had to try it! My friend bought the vanilla beans online, but you can find them at some grocery stores (probably Whole Foods or stores similar). They may be cheaper online so search around. Also, get decent vodka to get the best product! The Thrifty Mama calculated it to be about $0.66 per ounce which beats Aldi’s $0.995 per ounce.
All you need is….
10-15 vanilla beans
750 ml decent vodka
- Take vanilla beans and slit them in half
- Pour out a little bit of the vodka so there is room for the vanilla beans
- Throw the vanilla beans in the bottle of vodka and put the top back on
- Store in a cool dark place
- Shake once a week for 3 months or less
- Then its ready to use!
Super easy right? Anyone could do it and cheaper than buying it from the store! Go ahead, try it, and see the difference!
This was part of the Homestead Barn Hop, Thrifty Thursday,
and Craft-O-Maniacs link party, Dog Days of Winter