Natural Allergy Relief Drink

Allergies are sooooo annoying! Can I hear a amen? But seriously as soon as spring comes around for me its terrible and the sneezing, itchy/watery eyes, and asthma comes on strong. I am literally allergic to almost everything under the sun: grass, weeds, trees, flowers, etc. Luckily I’m not allergic to dogs that would be heartbreaking. This year since being on a more natural journey I wanted to find a natural allergy relief. Well that, and my allergy medicine ran out and I didn’t want to buy more so I started looking for a natural solution. There are more natural solutions than this but this is what I have tried so far and what works for me.

Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: not only is it rich in vitamins and minerals it is believed to block histamine reactions which causes the hypersensitivity to environmental allergies. So by drinking it (recommended to dilute it with water) this should alleviate some allergies on its own.

Local Honey- is honey that is grown closest to where you live (I’ve hear it should be within 20 miles). Bees collect pollen from your area and it ends up in your honey. Then it builds up in your system and you can become immune to the pollen in your area. Thus, decreasing your allergies. It might not work for everyone.
Warning: do not give honey to children under 12 months

Natural Allergy Relief Drink
1 Tbs local honey
1 Tbs raw organic apple cider vinegar
warm water

Place honey and raw organic apple cider vinegar in a tall glass and fill will warm water. Stir to dissolve honey and drink away. I drink this twice a day. I can feel when it starts to wear off and know I need another drink. You can also add a squeeze a lemon for extra deliciousness!

Side note: Let me just tell you that I am extremely allergic to cats and yesterday I was at a friends who had 2 cats and had no reaction until the very end when I sat on the couch that the cats lay on and it was still only 2 sneezes. Not to shabby!

Recipe inspired by Frugally Sustainable

This was part of the Homestead Barn Hopthe Morris TribeSew ChattySew Can DoCraft-O- ManiacHomemaker on a DimeMaster Piece Monday

Comments

Local honey has been awesome for me. I started buying it at the Coop 2 years ago. I’ve slowly needed less and less of my allergy meds. I started off with 2 of the Allegra D 24 hour pills a day and now I just take the pills a few times a year when everything is pollenating. I figure local honey costs a lot less than the allery meds and I’m going to be using honey anyway.

We use local honey a lot. This drink my husband makes when he feels a cold or cough coming on, and it seems to work for him. I take a small bit of raw local honey each day, and that definitely helps, and who doesn’t like a spoonful of honey :-)

So true! And I never feel bad about it because I tell myself this is so good for me lol! I love drinking honey and sleepy time tea which is a chamomile tea when I get sick just makes me feel better! Thanks for commenting!

3. Anonymous says

Be careful using vinegar for allergy relief. If you have a mold allergy absolutely do not use vinegar. It will only make your allergy worse because vinegar contains an extremely high concentration of mold spores. I am extremely sensitive to mold and this is one item that my allergies told me to avoid at all cost. I do not even use it as a disinfected either because it leaves mold spores on the surfaces. This is only for folks with mold allergies and a little known fact to others.

• Tammy says

Amy, I have to believe this person is referring to white vinegar..perhaps?
        Braggs ACV containing mold spores?….I would contact the company before believing this.
        I have their book & love their products…especially the dressings!

• Anonymous says

I also have a severe mold allergy which has been affirmed both environmentally and medically by specialists. This vinegar and honey drink has made it possible for me, a moderate to severe asthmatic,to come completely off all my prescription meds for 4 years now. So,while this may be bad for some with allergies to mold it is not detrimental to all who have mold allergies. There are many different types of molds.

• Sharon says

Is the “mother of vinegar” being considered as “mold” in the April anonymous comment, I wonder? Like Anonymous of the July comment, I have confirmed severe mold allergy and apple cider vinegar is my friend, with or without local honey. Search for a Fire Cider recipe for congestion problems…awesome.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a natural allergy relief. I have known about local honey for years, but for whatever reason, just got out of the habit of buying it. Need to get back to that. I’m kinda scared to try the vinegar, but since the over the counter allergy meds gave me heart palpitations, time to try things anyway.
    Thanks again,
    KCoake

The vinegar is really not bad! Especially with the honey. I was drinking it with just the diluted apple cider vinegar because I didn’t have the local honey yet and it was kinda rough! But as soon as I added the honey it was a million times better and I actually enjoy drinking it now!

I was just telling my hubby about local honey. I really think he needs to try it. I never knew about the vinegar though. I’ll have to add that to the list.:)

I will have to give this a try – with our mild winter and an early spring – I’ve been suffering a little bit. Glad I stopped by.

Hi!
    I drink this too, everyday, and I love it. My version is cold in a tall glass with ice…..I love the taste and could drink it all day. Bragg’s organic apple cider vinegar is so good mixed with a little honey.

I’m new here, stop on over for a visit sometime :)

My friend has told me that garlic literally cures all. She once told me when my ear was clogged to put a clove of garlic in it overnight! I was to nervous to try it. Thanks for stopping by I will check out your link!!

Found your blog through Frugal Days Sustainable Ways link up…loving it :-) I have been looking for good all natural allergy relief…thanks for the simple recipe. Pinning this too…hope that is ok!

9. Anonymous says

Apple cider vinegar has a lot of benefits. It is VERY acidic so make sure you vigorously rinse your mouth with water immediately after or it will eat away at your enamel. Do not brush for at least 2 hours after. (this coming directly from my dentist)
    I started taking ACV on advice from a friend who swore it was good for acid reflux. I was skeptical at first because I didn’t understand how an acidic drink could heal an ACID problem in the stomach. Finally I gave in and tried it. 2 weeks later I was off the Nexium (prescription for acid reflux) for the first time in years.
    I also noticed my energy levels were picking up and my skin seemed so much smoother and I wasn’t having the normal acne with my cycle every month. I did some research and discovered that it’s the ACV.
    Apparently it’s good for a LOT of different things. It can lower cholesterol, helps with acne (when you drink it and you can use it as an astringent) , brightens skin, aids in weight loss, helps with acid reflux and so much more.
    I don’t know about all of those things but I can tell you with certainty that it does work for acid reflux. I’m living proof.
    Oh, make sure you get certified organic ACV. Bragg brand is the best. Look for something with an ingredient in it called “mother”. This is the most beneficial part. You can find this in most health food stores. The kind you find at grocery stores are not as good, as they have been thoroughly filtered and lose most of “the good stuff” in the process.

Thank you so much for all this great information. I have heard before that it can help with acid reflux and I am hoping it will help with my GERD hasn’t yet. I always dilute the ACV a lot because one its nasty if you don’t and 2 someone told me about the enamel! Another benefit I have found is that I am not as hungry as I used to be and seems to be helping me lose weight (that or the stress of grad school and lack of time). Thanks again for the great information! and Im glad your acid reflux went away!

I have been trying to get hubby who has Acid Reflux to try the ACV (we bought Bragg’s) but he can’t get past the smell, taste, and the idea he is drinking “floaties” as he calls it. he says it looks like soda after a toddler “back washes”… Any advice? LOL

I feel like my husband would do the same thing haha. Have you tried making this recipe above? It is actually really tasty and if he still doesn’t like it maybe add more honey and a squirt/ a slice of lemon. Then maybe he will think the floating things are from the lemon not the braggs! Hope this helps let me know how it goes!

11. Anonymous says

I know this is an old post but in case others like me are late comers I will add a few comments. I have been drinking this for 4 years now. Started it to treat gastic reflux, heart burn, GERD, acid indigetion and anything else others term it and to my surprise it greatly helped with my allergies, chronic sinus infections and asthma! If this vinegar drink is not helping your GERD then make sure you are drinking it with meals only, sip it as you would coffee or tea rather than gulp it all down at once. Also sipping through a straw is advisable to keep your teeth safe, however please know that sodas and fruit juices will do the same thing to unprotected teeth.
    It seems counter-intuitive to be able to cure an acid problem with an acid until you understand that the cause of your “too much stomach acid” problem is actually rooted in a too little acid problem. Those of us that have this problem really have a problem with too little acid which on the surface looks to be just the opposite. When we have too little acid in our stomachs and then eat our brains realize we don’t have enough acid to digest what we just ate so it kicks acid production into high gear to compensate this. Problem is by the time our bodies produce the needed acid and pump it into our guts the food that triggered the need for all that extra acid has moved on and the extra acid is dumped into an empty tummy. This is where the acid reflux symptoms hit us. If you drink the vinegar while you are consuming the food it increases you acid level in your stomach so your brain doesn’t assess too little acid. It does not kick your internal acid production into overdrive to compensate for low acid levels. This lag in the body’s acid production is another reason why it is better for us to graze on small meals and healthy snacks all throughout to day rather than eat three large meals a day. It provides a more constant and moderated acid production rather than the huge peaks and valleys that cause us problems.
    I am an RN and have seen first hand the long term damage antacid and acid suppressing drugs do to people. There are things your doctors do not tell you, for whatever reason, that you need to know to make a truly informed decision regarding your own health. Sometimes the doctors don’t even know this or they would be telling you. Take the time and do the research until you are satisfied you are doing what is right for you.

12. Anonymous says

I’ve just started ACV and local honey for allergies, and I’ve even added a touch of bee pollen I got at Sprouts for a couple bucks. So far so good!

13. Michelle says

I’m a new follower, and I’m about to try my first cup of ACV & Honey for my mold allergies. I have a severe rxn to molds when any rain or cold front blows in. I’m instantly congested and it moves straight into my chest where I will cough for the next 2+ weeks. We are located in central Texas where the allergies are extremely bad. I am anxious to see if this works b/c I’m desperate! I am all about adding a healthy drink into my daily routine, especially if I know it’ll keep my mold allergies at bay.
    Are there any mold allergy sufferers out there who have tried this with success?

Does this really work?!? I really suffer from allergies.
    I am stopping by from Whimsy Wednesday…and I stumbled upon this post. I will be trying this!
    I wanted to invite you to a link party I am hosting right now…a link party for OLD posts. You know, those things we posted when only our moms and husbands were reading our blogs…or is that just me?? Anyway, let’s get some more traffic and pins out of those posts!
    Hope to see you there!
    Nancy

Yes it does! I have had friends who have tried it and it has worked great for them! Thanks for the invite Nancy I will go over there right now and link up!

I have started taking apple cider vinegar and honey in warm water for other reasons – like flu season coming soon in the Southern Hemisphere – but has noticed that since I have been taking it, my chronic sinusitus seems better. I will keep doing it, as I notice quite a few changes for the better.

16. Deborah Jennings says

I have just been tested for allergies. Unfortunately, the local honey won’t help me. I have mostly mold, and tree allergies. I just started my shots today. (2). One for the molds, and one for airborne junk. I do love honey, and use it for my herbal tea.

17. Jennifer Curtis says

Question: So could I mix this up cup to cup and put it in a container and then pull out 2 tbs each day? Seems easier than trying to do 2 tbs each every day. I actually just bought this same ACV.

I don’t see why you couldn’t! It may not last quite as long as it would being separated. I would just keep it in the fridge! Great idea

18. Stephanie Ranker says

I was wondering of there would be any reason that you could not add ice to this beverage once the honey has been disovled to make it a more refreshing drink?

I don’t think you can replace it I’m sorry. I don’t think there is any citrus fruits in the vinegar though. But is very acidic.

19. stacey says

I am deffinately going to try this!!!!! i have allergies to AIR!!!!! was wondering tho…. can u take along with an allergy med in case it is not effective for someone? I am so tired of watching the clock waiting to take my next pill just to breathe :( plus i would hate to know what chemicals are in them! would deffinately prefer something more natural! thanx to everyone that posted… makes me want to try it just that much more! :) ill post again with an update on my success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanx again!

20. Karen says

Down here is Austrakia, we have a product by Wescombee, called Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey ~ ready made n mixed~ I drink up tp 4 cups made with boiling water each day and love it!! I’ve lost weight and feel less tired. It’s ge rear as an all-round tonic and detox!!

21. Cheryl says

I have noticed that several people commented on the mold issue. What they have failed to take into account is that the honey will kill the mold in the vinegar without destroying the true benefits from both items.

22. Jacque says

In reply to anonymous,

I just googled mold spores and vinegar and every single web site I saw listed vinegar as a natural way to kill mold. Not one mentioned anything about vinegar leaving mold spores behind. Can you list your sources so I can read more about this? Thanks.

• Linda G. says

I was thinking the same thing. How can mold be in vinegar? Interesting. I use vinegar to clean and disinfect. I have read how using both vinegar and hydrogen peroxide together can be a better disinfectant than bleach is so how can vinegar have mold spores? Hum….

23. Jill says

My son has awful allergies and asthma also. We use apple cider vinegar for lots of other stuff, so I’m excited to find another positive use for it…as soon as I get my hands on some local honey. :) Thanks!

24. Kimberly C. says

We do something similar in winter that makes a great morning detox drink- allergy drink, decongestant drink, whatever! It’s just yummy!

1 cup hot water
    2 tbs of ACV
    Spoonful of local honey
    1/4-1/2 squeezed lemon
    and a shake of cayenne

Really clears your sinuses and you can alter it to however sweet or spicy you like. Yum!

When making the honey and vinager mixture DO NOT USE HOT WATER!!!!!! Only luke warm cuz if u heat honey to warm, especially raw honey, it KILLS the healing properties in the honey!!!!! That’s the difference between raw and pasteurized…. It’s heated to over 150 degrees to make the shelf life longer by which killing all the healing properties in it!!!!! DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT USE HOT WATER if u want this magic elixir to work with its full bennefits!!!!

25. Rosie Leon says

I tried making a drink with apple cider vinegar and honey and water and after a couple of days of this I got a terrible rash on my bottom. It was raw and painful as heck. I quit this and had to use diaper rash medicine on the area until it healed. I can’t eat grapefruit much or my lips crack so all I’m saying is, if you are sensitive to citric acid, be careful when doing something like this, dilute the recipe and see how it does for you.

26. Brandi says

Does it have to be the Braggs organic apple cider vinegar? I could not find any today so I bought Heinz unfiltered all natural apple cider vinegar with the mother!

Also I was wondering if it is ok to give this to my 16mth old? She has bad allergies too and all the doctor tells me I can give her is benadryl which makes her so tired and cranky plus I don’t like giving her that much medicine. I also have a 6 yr old I want to try this with too bc he was just diagnosed with asthma and all the medicine they have him on is CRAZY!! None of it works and I don’t think anyone espically a 6 yr old should be on that much nonworking medication. I appreciate any advice on how to do this! I sure hope it works for us all!

27. lorraine B says

I came across this web site by accident, while searching for natural remedies for allergies I will try the ACV drink