Homemade Whipped Coconut Body Butter

I have the driest skin! Well it is due to the fact that I have a skin allergy to dairy and yet can’t say no to ice cream! Anyway, this body butter is luxurious and moisturizing! Best part its really easy. Like I always say if a craft is not easy I probably won’t do it :).

Homemade Body Butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup shea butter
1/2 tsp almond oil
essential oil optional (I used orange of course) just enough to smell

Directions: In a double boiler add coconut oil and shea butter until melted, stirring occasionally. After it has melted take it off the heat and stir in almond oil. Place in a cool place like the refrigerator or even outside until it solidifies a bit and becomes thick.

Next, place the mixture in a stand mixer or a bowl and add essential oil. Start slow and bring it up to medium high speed until thick like frosting. Remember it is not frosting do not eat it although it will be tempting. Store in a container cool place (especially during the warm months). It may start to melt a little if above 75 degrees.

A Little goes a long way! Use a little bit and message it into the skin. It feels a little greasy at first but after a few minute it absorbs into the skin! Great for right after you take a shower!

This is the first time making body butter and one its super easy and two your body will thank you! Is your skin super dry when winter rolls around? What do you do for it?

Comments

Usually only my hands and feet get dry in the winter. I use coconut oil massaged in and then put on cotton socks & gloves to sleep in.

2. emanda says

i know its more vegan here , but for those who are not vegan adding little bit beeswax gives it more hardening factor and doesnt melt when temps get a little too high. but otherwise awsome product made some today and i love it made it with peppermint and rosemary oils for my mothers arthritis she has yet to try it but let u know what she thinks. it was funny but on a shopping trip today she asked me if i had any homemade lotion in car cuz her hands were dry just happens that i didnt but now i will.

I want to try this! I feel like all the moisture is sucked out of my skin in the winter. I’ve been using Aveeno Baby, but I’m looking for something more natural. Thanks for the idea!
    Rebecca @ BOGOGreenio.blogspot.com

Thank you for this recipe. It looks great and I love using coconut oil for as much as I can. Do you know how long you left your mixer going for. I only have a hand mixer so I just wanted to know how long I’d have to hold it for. Many thanks.

Haha thats ok! You could probably melt it in the microwave and maybe use a whisk! The mixing part would be the hardest but I think you could do it!

Hi Amy, thanks for this post! I just discovered your blog and I can’t wait to try like a million of the things on here. Have you ever tried subbing olive oil? I have a TON and wonder if it would yield a better/worse result. Please let me know if you have tried this and what your experience was, if so.

6. Krystal says

Any idea what the shelf life is on this without adding preservatives? I was thinking whatever the expiration on the ingredients are, but does that remain true after you melt it??

7. Debbie says

Looks good. How many jars does the recipe made. Great gift idea. Definitely going to make a large batch for myself. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Debbie it only makes one 4 oz container. But you can definitely double or triple it! It would not work as a pump because it is really thick! Hope you love it!

• Jasmin says

If you just use a bit of common sense it’s perfectly ok to use. As in, if she’s allergic to nuts substitute almond oil and so on. Seeing as how doctors regularly recommend using stuff full of preservatives, perfume, parabens and other toxic crap I’d say common sense is more important than a doctor’s opinion. Unless of course you’re one of the lucky ones who has a sensible doctor.

Also, please be very careful about using citrus oils on the parts of your body that gets exposed to the sun because they can react with the sun and cause painful burns.