Homemade Natural Mascara

homemade Natural Mascara

Super excited to share this recipe with you today! I was doing research on creating my own mascara and a lot of the recipes were not very thick. They made your lashes look darker, but didn’t really make the lashes look any thicker. So that’s what I tried to do. Make an all natural mascara that adds a bit fullness to your lashes!

Homemade Natural Mascara

Ingredients:

Directions:

• In a small saucepan or mini sauce crockpot place first 4 ingredients and heat until completely melted.
  • Mix in activated charcoal and remove from the heat.
  • Place mixture in a plastic bag, allow to cool a bit, and move contents to one corner of the bag.
  • Cut a small hole at the corner, insert into empty sterilized mascara tube like this one, and gently squeeze mascara into tube. It will be much easier if you have a second pair of hands to help.

Note: because this mascara is all natural and contains no preservatives, it lasts 3-4 months. Dispose of after that or if it starts to smell funky. You could probably put a few drops of vitamin E oil in and put a little less coconut oil in to help preserve it.

How does it wear?

I love this mascara. It keeps my lashes soft and doesn’t flake off. I must say though, that it stays on pretty well, but after along day at work when I come home I may need to touch it up if I’m going to go somewhere. The one thing is that I wish it was waterproof. I was wearing it at church this last Sunday and it was the last time I got to see one of my best friends before she moves to Penn State to start a church. Lets just say there was a lot of tears. The mascara smudged a little and I just had to wipe it off with my finger. No big deal at all!

How does it look on?

You are all probably thinking “how does it look?” So I tried to take some pictures of my lashes without showing you a picture up my nose! It is actually a lot more difficult than you might think! Of course I have to have a little fun doing it…. :)

homemade mascara Collage

There you have it a natural and easy recipe for mascara. Remember makeup is a tricky thing… What works for me may not work for you, and you may have to adjust the recipe slightly. Because it is all natural and not chalked full of unnatural chemicals you shouldn’t compare it to the commercial stuff. It wears differently and may take some getting used to! With that being said I hope ya’ll love it!!

Just in case you missed it…

DIY Natural Foundation Powder

Homemade Natural Blush

Homemade Natural Bronzer

I party here…

*Links may contain affiliate links

Comments

I used a brand new tube (like the one linked above), cleaned it with alcohol, and rinsed with water! You may be able to use an old one if you clean it and sterilize it, but I would be afraid about the bacteria!

• FlowerCat says

Can you post a link of the exact empty mascara tube and wand you purchased for this mascara? The wand in the picture you posted looks perfect for the lash look that I like. I am having a hard time finding it online. Thank you! I am very excited to try this!

1. Melissa says

Omg! Thank you! I’ve slowly been transitioning to natural products for my whole family. It started with cleaning products, then lotions and soaps, now my makeup! Excited…can’t wait to make and use this!!! And the others!

2. Karen J says

Two things…. 1st can I use soy wax instead of beeswax? If yes is it the same measurement? 2nd why couldn’t this post have been 2-3 weeks ago:$
    Love this post by the way. Thanks.

3. Marilee says

Thank you for this. I’ve been looking good for something like this for a while. I have sensitive allergies prone eyes. Everything I buy bothers my eyes. Can’t wait to try this sine I know I’m not allergic to any of it.

4. Penny Hannah says

I’ve been making my own mascara in a well-cleaned old mascara tube, with either witch hazel or aloe vera gel as the base, then adding some [on hand] dark grey mineral eyeshadow powder. It dries quickly, doesn’t leave Panda eyes, and works really well. If you’re really brave, different colour mascara is easily achievable!

5. Crystal says

This recipe is great, just made some but one thing I’ve noticed is the aloe vera gel seems to be separating from the rest once it cools, is this normal?Any suggestions? Thanks again for sharing this recipe!

6. Elsha McCombe says

Hi,
    Loving this idea, but there are coconut allergies in this house. Could I substitute Vit E oil for the entire amount of coconut oil? Last thing I want to do is kill my partner :/
    Seems coconut oil is the new fad, everything has coconut oil in it these days, not good for this household.
    Thanks :)

O no that’s too bad! Usually I would say no because coconut oil adds thickness. But since the recipe calls for shea butter I think it should be ok!!!! You might be able to do a little more shea butter with the vitamin e oil???

• CP says

You could probably use a different saturated fat. You could probably just use a little more shea butter. I would like to try this with cocoa butter instead of the coconut oil and shea butter, as I love chocolate! Any oil that is solid at room temperature would probably work.

7. Crystal says

Thank you, still works awesome! I am thinking that I stirred it too much and that threw it out of suspension. I have read that this sorta thing can happen with lotions when combing oils & waxes with liquids, next time I will not stir so vigorously and see if that makes the difference. Thanks again :-)

8. Grace says

Amy, I too have eye allergies to ALL mascara’s on the market. thank you for posting this. I didn’t see where you buy the new tubes. Thanks!

I love these posts of yours. Thank you so much for sharing them! I’ve been wanting to make my own make up for a while now but had no idea where to start. So Thank you for saving me the time

Hi Susan

I loved the idea of henna, but I accidentally got some on my eyelid and didn’t wipe it off right away and it stained my lid! Not too too serious, but I did have to rock the ‘smoky eyes’ for a couple of days until it faded. If you wipe it off right away and just keep an eye on it (pardon the pun) until its dry, you’re all good!

Amy – this is the awesomest! Can you use the charcoal as a eye shadow do you think?
    Nikki Fotheringham recently posted…Camping Stove can Charge your Phone!My Profile

Thanks for letting us know about the henna Nikki! I’m wondering if you could use cocoa powder??? Never tried it but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Yep you can totally use charcoal as eyeshadow (I have actually done this). That may be a future post lol!

Chiming in with a thanks on the henna tip. What would you think about cinnamon? I’ll try to play around in the next day or so and reply back.

Hey Nikki I wouldn’t recommend using cinnamon on your eyes! Don’t want to take a chance on hurting your eyes!

I wouldn’t use cinnamon because I would be afraid to get it in your eyes and cause them to burn! I would try coco powder first!

Cacao powder doesn’t work. It looks like cacaobutter or chocopaste afterwards. I’ve try applying it, but it does not color your lashes. You’re just buttering them with a cacao smell ;-) Coffee doesn’t work either. The grains are too big. Henna is not an option, as it will color a bit of your eyelid. So i’ll stick to the charcoal :-)

hi amy~
    i’m wondering about the aloe gel…
    i have the raw aloe JUICE, but i’m wondering if that is too liquidy for this.
    is the gel really, well… “gel-like” to where it would add a lot to the consistency of the finished product?
    or with the wax, coconut oil and shea butter already in there, do you think it might still set up alright using the juice?
    thanks for any help and thanks so much for posting this!

12. Sasha says

I’m loving the idea of natural makeup, but I’ve always been allergic to Aloe Vera GEL (not the plant). Any alternatives?

Hooray! I’m definitely pinning this to my natural beauty board. I love the thought of making my own make up, and mascara is one of those things I am currently out of, so it might make sense to start there. Thanks for the recipe and great tutorial! Can’t wait to try it.
    Jenny recently posted…I vowed to post at least once a week.My Profile

HI
    Curious I currently use a clear mascara (my eyelashes are already super dark and this way I never worry about the black smudging ) any way do you think I could make it without adding the charcoal and it would still be ok ? I totally hate using the chemical stuff often time it burns and makes my eyes itch :( plus chemicals on the eyes can’t be good !!! Thanks for this recipe !

15. Autumn says

Hi,
    So I just made the homemade mascara last night. I’m wearing it today, but it doesn’t seem to be drying! Is this how your mascara is when you make it?
    I’ll run my finger across my lashes and it comes off.
    Anyways, I do really love the recipe. Hopefully I can alter it somehow. Maybe add some more beeswax.
    Autumn

Hmmm. Mine dries but not like crunchy/rigid like store bought mascara. Does that make sense? It is flexible, but after a few minutes it should’t come on your finger. You could try to to add a more aloe.

16. Lou says

Thank you for this post! I am sensitive to commercial mascara so I am very keen to try this. I do live in a hot climate though so I was curious if there are any problems with the mascara / oil base melting while wearing it during hot weather?

Thanks again!

17. Katelyn says

Love this idea! I’m slowly switching over to all natural and homemade products so I can’t wait to try this. But would I be able to use cocoa butter instead of shae butter?

18. Reina says

i have this recipe written down but with a couple different ratios….2tsp coconut oil and 1/2tsp beesewax…do you know what the difference would be? i want to make the right one!

19. Anonymous says

Hi! I can imagine what the purpose of e beeswax is, but is there anything I can use in place of it if I’m vegan? Thanks :-)

20. Pam says

I notice that the charcoal powder for me doesn’t make the mascara a deep black, so I add carob powder (I’m allergic to chocolate, so cocoa is out), and that makes it. Much deeper, richer color. I also use the carob in place of cocoa for my other DIY makeup essentials.

1. [...] make your own sweet sweet homemade mascara from natural ingredients thanks to this easy recipe from A Blossoming Life. Green living has never been so easy! It moisturizes, it thickens and it darkens your lashes like [...]

2. […] A Blossoming Life shared a fantastic recipe for DIY mascara made with activated charcoal capsules, available at your local vitamin store (you can also make homemade eyeliner with charcoal). Other ingredients include coconut oil, shea butter, beeswax and aloe vera gel. All you need is a sterilized mascara tube and brush, and you’re good to go! […]