Super excited to share this recipe with you today! I was doing research on creating my own mascara and a lot of the recipes were not very thick. They made your lashes look darker, but didn’t really make the lashes look any thicker. So that’s what I tried to do. Make an all natural mascara that adds a bit fullness to your lashes!
Homemade Natural Mascara
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp shea butter
- 1 1/2 tsp bees wax
- 4 tsp of aloe vera gel
- 1-2 capsules of activated charcoal (I found this at my local Vitamin World)
- In a small saucepan or mini sauce crockpot place first 4 ingredients and heat until completely melted.
- Mix in activated charcoal and remove from the heat.
- Place mixture in a plastic bag, allow to cool a bit, and move contents to one corner of the bag.
- Cut a small hole at the corner, insert into empty sterilized mascara tube like this one, and gently squeeze mascara into tube. It will be much easier if you have a second pair of hands to help.
Note: because this mascara is all natural and contains no preservatives, it lasts 3-4 months. Dispose of after that or if it starts to smell funky. You could probably put a few drops of vitamin E oil in and put a little less coconut oil in to help preserve it.
How does it wear?
I love this mascara. It keeps my lashes soft and doesn’t flake off. I must say though, that it stays on pretty well, but after along day at work when I come home I may need to touch it up if I’m going to go somewhere. The one thing is that I wish it was waterproof. I was wearing it at church this last Sunday and it was the last time I got to see one of my best friends before she moves to Penn State to start a church. Lets just say there was a lot of tears. The mascara smudged a little and I just had to wipe it off with my finger. No big deal at all!
How does it look on?
You are all probably thinking “how does it look?” So I tried to take some pictures of my lashes without showing you a picture up my nose! It is actually a lot more difficult than you might think! Of course I have to have a little fun doing it….
There you have it a natural and easy recipe for mascara. Remember makeup is a tricky thing… What works for me may not work for you, and you may have to adjust the recipe slightly. Because it is all natural and not chalked full of unnatural chemicals you shouldn’t compare it to the commercial stuff. It wears differently and may take some getting used to! With that being said I hope ya’ll love it!!
Just in case you missed it…
I party here…
*Links may contain affiliate links