Since starting a new job, studying for my RD exam, and preparing to do that whole moving thing has made this lady super stressed out and tired all the time. Boy does my face start to show it! You know that whole puffy eyes, dark circle thing. Not cool! I don’t even want to talk about what grad school did to my skin…
The recipe I am sharing with you today includes amazing ingredients.
- Raw shea butter and extra virgin coconut oil both are amazing moisturizers, skin protectors, and can help heal the skin.
- Almond oil has been shown to reduces puffy eyes and dark circles, and also has anti-aging properties.
- Lemon essential oil is an astringent, detoxifier, brightener, and can help lighten skin spots.
- Aloe vera gel is a skin brightener, neutralizes free radicals, repairs damaged skin, can help aid skin issues like eczema, and slow down the appearance of wrinkles.
- Bentonite clay helps absorb and remove toxins and impurities.
- Vitamin E oil can help block free radicals, slow down the skins aging process, and help heal scar tissues and skin issues.
DIY “Miracle” Night Cream
- 1/2 tsp beeswax
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbs almond oil
- 1/2 tsp of shea butter (or you can just use more coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vitamin e oil
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
- 1 tsp honey (Try to get some local honey if possible)
- 1/2 tsp bentonite clay
- 5-10 drops lemon essential oil
*You can double the recipe
Directions: In a double boiler, sauce crock pot, or microwave safe dish place first 4 ingredients and heat slowly until melted. Pour into a blender and let cool. In a separate bowl, mix together aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, lemon essential oil, and honey. Once the beeswax oil mixture has completely cooled and become almost the texture of lip balm, mix it with a spoon a little to break it up, and add the aloe mixture into the blender. Blend until well combined. Place back in a non-metal bowl and add 1/2 tsp bentonite clay, and stir with a non-metal utensil. DO NOT LET IT COME INTO CONTACT WITH METAL! You get the point :). Place cream in a glass or plastic container and store in cool dry place.
I’ve been using this cream for a little while now and I love the way it feels on my skin. I can see a difference in my skin! Brighter, hydrated, and the puffy eyes/dark circles have decreased a ton. Plus, you know exactly what ingredients are going in and you don’t have to worry about harmful chemicals. I feel like a say this every time I do a DIY skin care recipe! It’s true though!
The reason this is a night cream is because it contains lemon essential oil which can cause photosensitivity in the sun. If you want to make this a day time cream just eliminate the lemon essential oil. You could make one cream for day and one for night!
Side note: Some people believe that aloe can boost hair growth. I could not find z scientific study proving this and from personal experience on using aloe vera on my face for a long time I have not grown facial hair :)!
Aloe can increase absorption of steroid creams so you may want to avoid aloe when taking them.
More info on aloe can be found here: Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry
Links may contain affiliate links
I party here…