Homemade {Baking Soda Free} Deodorant

Baking soda Free deodorant

I loved loved loved my old homemade deodorant and used it for over 2 years until one day I noticed my underarms getting irritated. Of course, I thought nothing of it and went on my merry way using it. That was until I started getting a bad and painful rash. Literally, my armpits started peeling, gross! Was that TMI? Sorry.

So I tried a million things like: taking a break from the homemade stuff for months and then going back to it, making other recipes with shea butter, and I even tried rubbing apple cider vinegar in my pits (to balance out the alkaline of the baking soda). Nothing worked and I was super bummed.

Then I saw somewhere about just using essential oils! Perfect! Or so I thought. It helped against smell until I did some serious stress sweating at work and I think I could’ve made people faint from my stank. Was that too much TMI again? Luckily, this happened because it gave me another idea! Why not make a recipe similar to the original, without the baking soda and a higher concentration of essential oils?

homemade baking soda free deodorant 2

Homemade {Baking Soda Free} Deodorant

Ingredients

Side note: You could probably use another kind of oil or butter in place of coconut. I have not personally tried it though.
Also, you can totally half this recipe!

Directions: Mix all the ingredients together and place in a jar. It is easier to mix when the coconut oil is slightly melted.

To Use: Apply a small amount with hands. If you use peppermint, wash your hands after you apply because if you touch your face it will have a cool, tingling feeling for awhile. Not that I learned this from experience or anything.. Ha

I have been using this for about 2 weeks now and love it! No burning or rashes! Yay! Plus, it handles my stink way better than just the essential oils! Just so you know there are a ton of people who can use the original recipe without any issues. Some of us on the other hand cannot probably do to the alkaline property in the deodorant.

Have you had issues with homemade deodorant with baking soda in the past? What have you found that has helped?

*Links may contain affiliate links

Comments

1. Karas says

I quit using deodorant about 9 months ago and started just using straight coconut oil. I have been very pleased with the results! I never stink…ever! When I made the switch I was constantly checking and making my husband check, too. Yes, I stuck my armpit in his face and asked him to sniff. I haven’t had one stink! The only thing I had to get used to is the feeling of not being completely dry like with traditional antiperspirants. I’m sure you have already experienced that with your homemade stuff. Anyway, it’s just one less thing I have to make. I just keep coconut oil in a jar in the bathroom and use it for various things. I asked my husband if it’s normal to apply your deodorant with your fingertips and rub the excess in the ends of your hair as a leave in conditioner. He said “no, but we are not a normal family.”

• Anonymous says

I use just coconut oil also. Likewise, I get rid of the oil on my fingers by running my fingers through my hair. So easy and effective.

Hahaha Karas! I do the same thing to my husband too! I wish I could just use coconut oil but I think my stink is way to strong for that! But that would be a great idea for others. I used to feel weird about applying with my fingers but now I’m totally used to it and it feels weird doing it any other way!

• Marsha says

I do the same thing or just rub it on my pits as I am moisturizing head to toe…I LOVE THE COCONUT OIL…the other day I was baking bread and used it to “grease” my pan…then just rubbed the excess into my hands and elbows and arms.

2. lisa says

Thank you for this recipe. I too get a rash, it doesn’t bother me but it looks horrible. I’ll be trying this tomorrow.

3. Marika says

I made this deodorant today, because I too get a terrible rash of baking soda. My version is much more liquid. Don´t know if it is too warm inside our house or is it because I used corn starch. Have you noticed that the scent fades in the jar? I think 40 drops of lavender and 20 drops of tea tree oil is too strong for my nose, but I don´t want to smell bad. By the way, I would not switch the coconut oil for another oil. I have read that coconut oil makes the good bacteria grow in your arm pits and that is why you don´t smell when you use coconut oil as a deodorant.

It may be to warm in your house since coconut oil can melt. I would just stick it in the fridge and see if that helps! I feel like the scent fades after awhile. Not sure if its my nose just getting used to it or the oils scent fading.

4. Tasha says

I’m like you, I can only use my baking soda deodorant once in awhile and only using caution (dab, never rub–ouch!). I will definitely be trying this out for myself. My armpits and I thank you!

5. lyn says

I make a great spray on deodorant . I also had rash issues with Baking soda so i did some googling and found out plain old salt is good also.
    In a small spray bottle ..
    2-3 teaspoons of salt (preferably unrefined salt like himilayan or celtic)
    1/2 teaspoon of water soluble lavender oil (or your choice of water soluble oil)
    Fill with water.
    Done.
    Tea tree oil is good for a mans version. Add more salt if you find you still get odour.

• Lynn Wood says

I used salt under my arms before and it did not work for me. I now have really ugly scars under my arms from where the salt rubbed me raw in some areas. However, I do have sensitive skin and this may have been the reason.

I’ll bet this smells great. I’ve used a baking soda deodorant for a little over two years and only have issues with it when I’ve freshly shaven. I generally shower at night and don’t apply deo until morning, so usually there are no issues. It’s when I forget and apply right out of the shower after shaving that it irritates a lot. Thanks for sharing your new-and-improved recipe!
    Jelli recently posted…Caribbean Rice and BeansMy Profile

7. Margaret says

I will have to try, and the Lyn’s recipe too.
    I made a spray deodorant with jillsgoodthings recipe but two unpleasant things happened, i miscalculated the liquid ounces when converting measurements ( do Brits and Americans even speak the same language at all, all measures are different) and got a very oily solution, and since I added too much lemon essential oil, I got a skin reaction like you guys did with baking soda. Must try this one
    Amy, how big is your cup, could you do your recipe in millilitres -I can not do the measure conversions! Pretty please.
    Thanks for sharing, love your ideas

8. Lilian says

Unfortunately I too got a terrible rash already the second day of using the baking soda deo. I made your sodafree one and am now using it together with a “deostone”, the type they sometimes sell in Thai shops. So I apply stone first, then let it dry and after that I apply your sodafree stuff. It works a dream; no rash, no stink :)!

Thank you so much! I, too, developed burning pits two months after starting my beloved homemade baking
    Soda deodorant. I thought that the arrowroot/coconut oil combo would probably work just fine, but it is very comforting to hear that someone else has tried it before wasting more expensive ingredients! My light scent combo is a few drops tea tree for antibacterial properties (you can’t smell it), sweet orange, and lime. It’s very tropical smelling with the coconut.

10. Melanie says

Hi, just wondering if you could make this recipe into a deodorant stick like your other recipe by adding beeswax? Have you tried? I don’t mind applying with my fingers but for traveling in warmer weather bringing a leaky jar is a bit of a pain! Thanks!

Ah, you are a lifesaver. I’m a Texas girl and I already sweat a good bit as it is….but summer is going to be here before I even know it. And I don’t want to keep buying store deodorant but yet when I tried a few different recipes with any sort of baking soda even the slightest bit my armpits broke out after a day of using it. I was pretty much hopeless and thought “Oh geez do I stink or do I pollute my body with chemicals.” Then by pure luck as I was looking through a list of uses for coconut oil I saw that you had a baking soda free version. Which pretty much made me jump for joy, though I have yet to test it out. I hope it works for me too. :) I just want to thank you in advance for not only this recipe but everything you do.

12. Sonja A Gjokas says

I tried using straight coconut oil (pharmacutical grade) with sent added. it worked about a week,then i started stinkin.so now im going to try your recepie.

13. Kj says

I was having trouble with the baking soda in homemade deodorant also, but I didn’t feel like coconut oil alone was getting the job done for me. So I started making it the same way but I was but omitted the baking soda and replaced it with 1 tablespoon of benotite clay to help me feel a little more dry and protected. It works great! I also add a mixture of lemon, lavender, and rosemary essential oils.

14. Melissa Burke says

Can you use 1/4 cup shea butter and 1/4 cup coconut oil? I have tons of she butter left from my first attempt at making homemade deodorant

15. Karen says

Hello! I’m just in the terrible rash after using for 2 months my beloved baking soda- coconut oil deodorant. What did you do to heal your skin?? I feel irritation, itch and they they are turning brown. I hope it heals and get back to normal. HELP!!

O no I’m sorry! That is not a fun stage to be in. When I broke out I started using this for a few months and it got much better. I have gone back to the original recipe. I started showering/shaving in the evening so my pits could rest during the night before putting on the deodorant in the morning and that has seemed to do the trick! If I have to shower in the morning and shave I will use this recipe. So basically I have both recipes on hand all the time! Hope you get to healing Karen

• Ann says

I had the same problem with the baking soda in my very favorite home made deodorant after breaking out horribly with a rash and dark brown, leathery skin. It was mostly my fault, as I ran out of Arrow Root Powder and decided to “compensate” with extra baking soda, not knowing the effect it would have. Then I shaved. Wowza Ouch!I was horrified. I Googled and found that the baking soda was indeed the culprit and as I continued my search I found a very soothing, healing recipe to apply and within a day or two, my underarms were feeling MUCH better and the rash went away within a week. I just combined 2 teaspoons coconut oil and 4 teaspoons Tea Tree Essential Oil. Hope it helps!

16. JM says

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the tips! Coconut oil doesn’t bode well for me, not sure why. I experimented with some homemade coconut oil-based deodorants and none of them have done the trick. I like Lavilin (buy it on Amazon). It’s really great, but we’re trying to cut back on expenses, so will try this out!

17. Veronica says

Hi Amy!
    I started using the deodorant with baking soda and for the first three weeks it was totally awesome, literally a miracle in a jar. But then my armpits started to rash, making my skin very irritated and darker than my natural skin tone.
    So I’ll try this recipe of yours, but only with lavender essential oil, since EOs are really expensive here where I live (I’m from Brazil). Do you think it is going to be good as well? And was this baking soda free recipe as effective as the original one with it?
    Thank you!!

I use straight milk of magnesia in a spray bottle. It’s wet, but has been a miracle for me! Works better than any natural or chemical type I’ve ever tried. This sounds good, though, and I will try it as an alternate. Probably a good idea to switch off once in a while.